Saturday, October 13, 2018

Opportunities Abound - Washington, D.C. is My Classroom


One month in to my Einstein Fellowship, I am still in awe of the opportunities that abound within the program and the Washington, D.C. area. Since traveling to the Capitol for my fellowship in August, not only have I seen "the sights" and explored various neighborhoods, I have attended briefings, lectures, symposium, Library of Congress events, and traveled to Idaho for a conference. Our cohort of fellows are placed at the National Science Foundation, NASA, Department of Energy - Office of Science, Congress, and Library of Congress.


As we each learn about new opportunities, we share them out. There are learning opportunities taking place on a daily basis, not to mention time to get together to enjoy social outings. As one fellow put it, "Sometimes this buffet puts everything out at once bu won't let you take two or three things." If you can't find something to do to grow, it's because you're not looking.  Now, a month in, I find that I am able to start making connections between what I may have heard in a symposium or lecture with a briefing on technology integration into K-12 classrooms and what I am collaborating on at the Library of Congress. Creating connections between content and transferring that learning to new situations is what we want our students to do in the classroom.  Looks like Washington, D.C. is my classroom for growing, learning, and transferring that knowledge to new projects to benefit elementary STEM education!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Made It to the Fall Break

 Wow! What a year! I'm not just talking about 2020, but I am also referring to last school year 2019-2020 and the current school year 20...