Sunday, November 4, 2018

Best Experience So Far

Wow! I had another inspirational experience last night with a talk by Astronaut Scott Kelly. His message about being an average, or even bad student, and still being able to accomplish his goals through planning and hard work was very insightful. Perseverance and hard work were underlying themes throughout the evening.  His passion for his work was clearly evident.


As an Einstein Fellow from rural Idaho, spending 11 months in Washington, D.C., I am often asked what has been the best experience so far.  For me, there is no single event or experience.  The variety of experiences to date include getting to know my cohort, attending lectures and symposiums, participating in professional development coordinated by the Albert Einstein Fellowship program, participating in professional development I have created for myself, and having fun in this amazing city.  I suppose my favorite experience is the overall experience all woven together. It is a rich and engaging experience that nurtures my professional career, my thrill of adventure, and drive to explore.

I can't believe it has already been two months since I started my time as an Einstein Fellow. On one hand, I would be hard pressed to list all the experiences I have already had. On the other hand, I am constantly looking for more experiences since I know my time in this fellowship is slowly ticking away.  During these two months, I have already begun a transformation.
Much like the fall trees with their changing colors, I feel as though I am in a similar process of natural and yet amazing change.


I am growing my knowledge base and developing a confidence in the learning opportunity I have created for students and hope to create for students in the future.  Furthermore, I have a new awareness of possible resources that can help support engaging STEM education for all students. I have no idea of what my total transformation will be by the end of the 11 months. In fact, I don't know what I will be doing after the 11 months since my previous teaching position is now experiencing its own transformation with a fantastic educator.  I do know that I have an increased passion for the importance of hands-on STEM in elementary education and a desire to continue to make a difference for students and educators.  My one piece of advice for other educators is find your passion and bring it to the classroom! You deserve it, and your students deserve it.  I am constantly inspired by the educators around me with a passion for students and educators.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Made It to the Fall Break

 Wow! What a year! I'm not just talking about 2020, but I am also referring to last school year 2019-2020 and the current school year 20...