Sunday, October 30, 2016

Apply for Grants and Awards

I apply for a variety of awards and grants.  I apply frequently and often for awards and grants I am interested in.  Typically I submit applications for professional awards that include monetary awards to supplement my teaching income.  Similarly, I submit grant applications for monetary needs within the classroom.   There are no guarantees when I complete applications.  However, I receive some of them because of the number of applications I complete and the belief I have in it what I do.  Whether my application is successful or not, I think it is important to share all my grant and award application opportunities.  I often feel odd applying for awards of my own initiative, but who knows better what I do than me.  I have difficulty accepting recognition even after applying for awards.  I doubt that I am the only education professional that feels this way.  That's why I feel it is important to share my experiences with other educators.

I do not receive every grant or award that I apply for.  In fact, many awards I don't receive.  However, if there is something I really believe in, I will continue to apply.  I am very excited about recently completing my application for the Honeywell Educators at Space Academy (https://educators.honeywell.com/).  I made sure I shared the completion of my application and encouraged others to apply.  I will also be compelled to share the end results.  It is important for other educators to see their colleagues are not always successful.  We are never assured of success for grant or award applications.  Educators often want our students to try activities in the classroom without fear of failure. And yet, many of those same educators do not apply for grants or awards for fear of failure.  I encourage those educators to accept the same challenge you offer to your students each day.  Find your passions in education.  Apply for professional development that further develops your passion.  Apply for grants to share that passion with your students.  I believe everyone who apply for grants and awards receive notices of rejection.  We survive.  We also sometimes receive notices of acceptance and enjoy a rejuvenating professional experience.  It takes time and can be disappointing when you do not achieve the results you desire.  However, when you do have success, it's like Christmas morning.  Your excitement spreads both to your students and colleagues.  Come on!  Give it a try.  Then try again, and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Made It to the Fall Break

 Wow! What a year! I'm not just talking about 2020, but I am also referring to last school year 2019-2020 and the current school year 20...