Sunday, October 30, 2016

Recognition in the Education Profession

After being included in a recent article for Boise State's Focus Magazine (https://focus.boisestate.edu/article/ed-d-in-educational-technology/), I was reminded of a few concerns I have with any type of professional recognition.  Although I appreciate recognition for the hard work I put into my career each day, I worry that when people see such articles or other such recognition they believe I have perfect lessons each class and I handle every situation with perfect outcomes.  While I hope to lead other educators by my examples, that does not mean I am perfect.  It does not mean I have all the answers.  What I try to do as a teacher-leader is what I think is right for students based on my experience and expertise, as well as, research.  I am always trying to improve my own instructional practices through reflection and on-going learning.  I am willing to try new practices and tools if if appears it will benefit students.

On a similar note, teachers should be recognized for their successes.  We face a high level of scrutiny from people who understand education and more often from people who have little or no understanding of education and the classroom setting.  While the scrutiny can be frustrating at times, it is important for people to understand the various aspects of the education profession.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Made It to the Fall Break

 Wow! What a year! I'm not just talking about 2020, but I am also referring to last school year 2019-2020 and the current school year 20...