Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Week 3 - Partners and Groups

     Next week, I will definitely be assigning partners and groups for the building projects and the robotics.  I have still been getting to know the students and wanted to give them some freedom to work alone or choose their own partners.  Some students do a fantastic job of pairing up with someone they can be successful with.  Others, not so much.  In fact, I may have all the building projects be individual next planning period.  There are quite a few students who love being in engineering, but don't want to actually build.  I want to be able to accurately measure what they can do and what they know.  However, the building projects are fairly complicated and difficult for a single person to complete.  Perhaps they can each build their own project, while working with a partner to overcome technical difficulties. Or, I could modify the project so it is able to be completed in one class period.  Most of the time seems to be consumed in finding the parts.  I could have the parts bagged ahead for them . . . For robotics, students will be working with different types of turns, and then I will start adding sensors.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Kellie. I wonder if you're familiar with the Engineering is Elementary curriculum from the Museum of Science, Boston? Seems like it would be right up your alley: project-based, fun, challenging. Plus it integrates literacy and social studies. Take a look! eie.org

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, thanks for the tip. I have looked at many different resources since this is my first year teaching elementary engineering. The Engineering is Elementary curriculum is one. However, my school has purchased several thousands of dollars in materials such as Brick Lab and Academy of Engineering. These are wonderful products luckily because I am somewhat obligated to use them. I have started an after school engineering club where I can integrate other types of lessons for students who are interested in attending.

      Delete

Made It to the Fall Break

 Wow! What a year! I'm not just talking about 2020, but I am also referring to last school year 2019-2020 and the current school year 20...